Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How my garden grew this year






This is the first time in about 10 years that I have grown a vegetable garden. I had a lot of success with the tomatoes and eggplant. That is until the squirrels decided to browse the salad bar. I should be specific. They really only seem to like the tomatoes. I think they almost have had as many as we have. Almost daily we find a half eaten tomato in the backyard. They do seem to come back later to eat the rest of it, so we usually leave it for them so they won't pick another right away. I have tried putting Cayenne pepper on and around the plants with limited success. I think the next plan is to buy a motion detecting sprayer. It is hooked up to a hose and sprays water on the offending tomato thief. From what I have read this works pretty well, we will see. I have included a couple of pictures of some of my harvest and the veggie and herb garden, as well as a small one of the front flower bed.

I wanted to include a picture of my Crepe Myrtle bush. It seemed to take forever for it to get leaves on it. Finally it grew a nice bunch of leaves. Art was doing very well cutting around it when he did the grass. Until one fateful day, he mowed it right down to the ground. I wasn't sure it would come back, but it did start getting some new leaves. I went out and bought this metal flag to mark the spot so that wouldn't happen again. As you can see it is coming back good right now, hopefully to grow and bloom next season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The gardens are just beautiful! And you tomatoes look nice and hardy - how do you do it?